Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Comfort of a Quilt.


I was trying to find a quote that would fit what I wanted to say, a quote about a quilt and its covering or its wonderful blend of colors, of different pieces stitched together, and found not one that would say what I wanted to say.
The Bastard and I went to an auction one night, and I saw this lovely quilt, (Not the only in the picture, but you get the idea.) and I wanted it. But I did not have a chance to look it over to see if it was in perfect condition. I merely saw it as the man held it up. It was vibrant colors, purple, orange, red, green, brown, just these lovely colors woven together, and a soft velvet material. I wanted it! I was prepared with number in hand, but I had a limit of what I could spend. The rush was exciting but a little nerve wracking at the same time, what if I was outbid. When they told me I won it at $11. I was shocked! I felt so lucky and leaned over to give The Bastard a kiss. Like a little girl I went up to fetch my new quilt.
I brought it back and had it sitting on my lap during the rest of the auction, my fingers brushing along the soft fabric. Later that evening when arriving home, we laid out the quilt and saw that its underneath had a few little tears in the material. Nothing major just some wear and tear. It was a vintage piece after all and I did not expect perfection but I thought that it would be on the guest bed, for perhaps it was not 'good' enough for our bed. The Bastard laughed at me and said of course it was good enough for our bed, it would provide warmth in the cold winter months and it looked pretty on our bed. So he settled that and took it to the dry cleaners the next day.
When he brought it home a few days later, he put it on our bed. And it was beautiful and rich colors. And we snuggled under that warm quilt all winter. Bundled up, close, telling each other stories, watching TV, and well you know........but that quilt kept it all inside of its beauty.
And that was the last thing The Bastard touched before he died. He slept under that the night before and I found myself laying there night after night, cuddled in his memories, snuggled in my grief. My sister came to stay with me for those first two weeks, and we snuggled underneath that quilt together sharing our stories of him, our laughter of him and our grief. But over us was that quilt that he had bought for me all those months ago. A little more wear and tear, a little more worn, but more memories also gathered in the threads.
When I moved back to my old house, I put that quit right back on the bed. And I have found a shelter there when I snuggle up underneath each night. I find myself reaching out for him, but even tho he is no longer there, my fingers run across the velvet and I feel the softness, the warmth. A smile appears and I know that my memories will always be right there.
And then when I get up from beneath, and go out to face the world, I know that it shall always be waiting because.......
Life goes on...........

No comments: