Sunday, August 15, 2010

Destiny.


"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice, it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Byran
My sister and I were having a conversation today about destiny and this quote came up on one of her friend's page on Facebook. We had a nice little debate about destiny. Do we actually choose our own destiny, or it is chance?
We both agreed that destiny is chance. But then we went our separate ways. She thinks it is all chance, and I think it is both, choice and chance. I think that we choose our lovers/mates/spouses. I think we choose our friends. But we do not choose our families.
And she brought up a very interesting point. We cannot control others, and in that destiny is chance. Yes so true, we cannot control others, we cannot control the Universe, we cannot control God. But we can control ourselves and in that can we control parts of our destiny?
Would our paths be the same if we would have choosen some of our paths differently, no of course they would not. If I would not have choosen The Bastard, I would not be grieving now. I would not have known him, and who knows where I would have been now. But did destiny lead me to him or did I choose him of my own accord.

Kind of like one of those questions that will always remain unanswered. There are parts of my life that I believe I was led there for a purpose, and some I believe I led myself to, so perhaps my sister is right, we are led everywhere we are supposed to be when we are supposed to be there.
Interesting topic that one. I suppose I will have to give it more thought.
In the meantime........
Life goes on..............

No comments: